My bad, I wrote "out degree" where I should have written "in degree".
My proposal:
Topological Sort <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topological_sorting> the
graph and keep removing the nodes from vertices which have "in degree" of 0
(given the DAG, there will always be at least one such vertex).
For a BST, since just root has an in degree of 0, start by removing the 2
out nodes from it. Now you will have 2 vertices with in degree as 0, repeat
this for each of them. The last vertex which will be left i.e. the one
without any out degree will be one end of your solution and the root will
be the other. Essentially, for a BST this problem is equal to finding the
depth of the tree.

 Also I made a blunder by assuming the graph is directed (DAG). The
question does not say graph is directed or undirected. This approach will
work for DAG. For undirected, convert the graph in to a directed graph
first and then start with the vertices whose in degree is 1.

Veni Vedi Slumber !