Dear Casey,

I first create an MP3 file. This can be from a CD I rip or a song from
YouTube using the MP3 converter I posted. Once I have an MP3 file, I
fire up MP3 direct cut and edit the audio file to create a 30 second
track, usually with fade in and fade out. The three biggest cell phone
carriers use 30 seconds as their ring tone length.

With this 30 second version of the song, I then use an online
conversion website to convert the MP3 file to an M4R file, the format
Apple uses for ringtones.

Once I download the M4R files to my computer and save them to a
directory, I copy and paste the M4R files into iTunes, which
synchronizes with the iPhone.  Custom ring tones are backed up to
iCloud so if the phone is wiped and then restored the custom ring
tones will be on the iPhone without needing to synchronize again to
iTunes.

Have you used MP3 Direct cut?  I like it because it is non-destructive
to the audio files, simple to use, and offers features like pre and
post roll and fade ins and fade outs.

Kelly

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#225): https://groups.io/g/all-audio/message/225