Dane,

I upgraded to Sound Forge 12 for Windows a little over a month ago or so,
fairly close to what I thought was going to be the end of the promotional
period here in the United States.  I have used Sound Forge for so long with
all of its accessibility issues that I hesitate to change to anything else.
I also have a problem with the install process but don't remember exactly
what that trouble was, but I did manage to complete the process with JAWS.

I don't have a real benchmark for comparing because I installed Sound Forge
12 on a new computer that is much faster.  However, subjectively, it seems
to me to be more stable when I work with audio files.  One fear I always
have is that accessibility will get worse.  Originally, I was a CoolEdit
user which became Adobe Audition.  Audition 1 and 1.5 were almost the same
as Cool Edit and accessibility was good, but in Audition 2.0 the method of
displaying changed and much of the accessibility was lost.  As I understand
it, Audition is fairly accessible again with scripting because some
information is exposed through MSAA and UIA, but back to Sound Forge.  What
I have found so far is that the basic screen, menus, and the dialogs I have
used in the past seem to be as accessible as they were before.  There are a
number of new processes that I believe are 64-bit that do not seem to be
particularly accessible.  However, I have not explored the new functions
with the JAWS Touch Cursor.  I have found that some newer interfaces reveal
more using the Touch Cursor than they do using traditional approaches.
Still, I am happy so far that Sound Forge 12 seems to do what I've always
done with it in a manner that is more stable.  There are some statements
that indicate latency has been reduced so recording with Sound Forge might
be more reliable.  I have not experimented much with that, though, and there
are so many variables that can contribute that I don't know how much I would
count on that.

I will be very curious to hear about your experiences and those of others as
well.  Also, my use has not been real intense yet, so I may uncover things I
don't like, but my first reaction is that accessibility is no worse,
although I don't know that I see that it is better.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson