When we bought a wide screen TV, back in 2015, the dealer made up a connecting cable that goes from an HDMI port on the TV (has two RCA males) to the input of my old-fashioned analog stereo amp. Don't know what they charged us, but it works fine.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>
To: <all-audio@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 1:03 AM
Subject: [all-audio] HDMI to RCA

Hi!

A month or so ago one of our members posted an eMail looking for a device
that would convert HDMI to RCA.

I decided to do some research to see if such a device was available as it
would seem perfectly logical for such a device to be in existence somewhere
even though the among of RCA connections might be rather large given that
the latest version of HDMI can handle more than 13 channels of audio along
with Goodness knows what else in the video department.

Alas I ssaw absolutely nothing that would convert HDMI to RCA whether that
be dedicated audio, Video, or even just 2 channel HDMI.

So I went to speak to an audio engineer friend of mine to see if such a
device was even possible to manufacture.

I'm told that - whilst such a device could easily be built - it would cost
far too much to do so.

Apparently all manufacturers of equipment who use the HDMI system have to
pay a license fee of around $150 per unit where HDMI is used so there goes
any chance of buying a HDMI to RCA converter.

Shame really as I don't doubt the usefulness of such a device so - in the
case of the Apple TV or any other device that has only a HDMI interface -
your only options are to either feed the Apple TV directly into a modern TV
which has HDMI inputs or into a modern Surround-Sound receiver which also
has HDMI inputs and can integrate thus with a modern TV.

HDMI inputs are not commonly found on stereo Hi-Fi equipment such as
dedicated amplifiers and the like given that these devices handle audio only
and not video.

Cheers!