I finally received my LS-14 recorder today so here are my impressions.
I know the internal speaker of a recorder is terribly important to some people.
For me an internal speaker doesn’t mean much and I suppose that’s probably
because I’ve used so many professional recording solutions without speakers so
I’m probably used to monitoring with headphones.
I will say that the internal speaker of the LS-14 does grab the attention of
the ears and has quite a pleasant sound to it.
The LS-14 is bigger than I had expected but small enough for portable field
use. If you want something smaller then go for the LS-P4 which has several
advantages over the LS-14.
The LS-P4 has a better voice guidance system though still no match for the DM4
in this area.
I’ve played with the Smart Level -rehursal - mode of the LS-14 which is very
nice however its not the final say when it comes to adjusting levels.
In the end it comes down to your personal taste, do you want the smart level
function of the LS-14 or perhaps you would prefer the “Look Ahead” buffer of
the LS-P4. Whatever your preference both seem to work well.
I have my LS-14 running from a USB Powerbank and I’m going to test to see just
how much battery life I’ll et from the bank on the recorder in the next few
days.
I’m not at all concerned that the LS-14 cannot recharge batteries internally,
the Zoom recorders don’t do this so again its something I’ve become accustomed
to.
The plastic build of the LS-14 is excellent and not the shoddy plastic build
that was the Olympus DM-7.
The Line-in socket is a welcome addition to a recorder of this size and I look
forward to capturing audio from it. I hope an included line-in will mean a
pretty much record and forget idea when capturing.
As yet I’ve not set the Date and Time, voice Guidance doesn’t work with this
setting it seems.
The menu system takes a little getting used to but at least it can be navigated.
I haven’t yet found a way to erase multiple files form memory, I can certainly
erase 1 file at a time.
I’m pleased to see the Olympus recorder supporting PCM Wave format all the way
up to 96KHZ 24-bit so very good for those of us who want to record from
turntables or want that extra excitement when capturing live music.
Its a pity the LS-14 will not record FLAC and its quite possible that the
processor in the LS-14 isn’t quite powerful enough to manage what the LS-P4
does in this regard.
So that’s pretty much it as far as I’m concerned with the LS-14 which I’ve been
exploring for the last 2 hours.
I found Neal’s review very helpful along with the knowledge obtained from other
list members here.