As far as I know all the generations of Echo speakers can function as a stereo
pair but you need two of the same that is you need two of the same type of Echo
speaker for your pair so you can’t have an Echo Plus for the left speaker and
an Echo dot for the right, it must be either dots or plus,.
As I understand it the feature was gradually introduced over time for all
speakers.
Perhaps the Echo Tap doesn’t support this function and if the Tap doesn’t
support pairing then I’m not at all surprised given the Tap has been out of
development for a number of years now and I don’t use mine mine any longer
given there are quite a number of functions I use that the Tap doesn’t support.
One thing that does annoy me about Echo is its lack of support for associated
devices from Echo devices itself, take the Ring Doorbell for example.
The Doorbell can be controlled by use of a Skill however only certain Echo
devices are compatible with this skill, those devices as far as I know are the
Echo Show and Echo Spot Smart Alarm Clock so if you’re going to invest in
security options for your Echo system which may include the Ring Doorbell then
you’re going to have to look hard at which echo devices support what.
Why the standard echo audio devices don’t support the Ring Doorbell is beyond
me.
I know the Doorbell has a video camera but it also does have an audio
microphone.
People at your door can’t see you - the doorbell doesn’t have a scree - so
what’s the whole problem with support then.
Does anyone on this list use Echo for security in there home or other uses.
I bought a tutorial some time ago along with another Raspberry Pi . The
tutorial amongst other things go through building a Google and Echo Smart Home
Assistant with a Raspberry Pi at the core so I must get down to having a shot
at that when I get some time.