Thanks Robert,  However, in the dialog selection you described, there are two possible sound devices.  I don't remember the exact messages but they indicate that the devices are not available.  It seems that I'll have to go into windows control panel, sound devices and make some settings.  I get lost in there.  I have to keep trying because I want to use this machine to make some recordings.

Howard