http://www.stjoan.com/homilies5/hn7.31.05.htm

Father Peter Zabelka, Catholic priest chaplain to
Enola Gay bombers
Peter: As a Catholic priest my task was to keep my
people close to the heart and in mind of Christ. When
I look back I am not sure I did this very well. As a
chaplain I often had to enter the world of the boys
who were losing their minds because of something they
did in war. I knew civilians were being destroyed, yet
I never preached a single sermon against killing
civilians to men who were doing it.

I was brainwashed. The whole structure of the secular,
religious and military society told me clearly that it
was all right to "let the Japs have it." God was on
the side of my country. I was certain that this mass
destruction was right. I was brainwashed not by force
or torture but by my Church's silence and wholehearted
cooperation with the country's war machine.

Sunday, July 31st 2005
The prayer bowl sounds; readers come forward
In the early morning of the 6th of August, 1945, the
bomber Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on the city of
Hiroshima. The explosion killed about 90,000 by the
end of the day. The target was not the military base
on the edge of the city but the city center itself.
Three days later, a bomb was dropped on Nagasaki. That
device killed about 40,000 people that day. Unknown
numbers of people perished from injuries and radiation
sickness in the days and years following the attacks.
The following excerpts are from an interview conducted
in 1985 with Fr. George Zabelka, a Catholic chaplain
with the U.S. Army Air Force, stationed on Tinian
Island in the South Pacific. Fr. Zabelka was assigned
to serve the Catholics of the 509th Composite Group,
the Atomic Bomb Group. He served as a priest for those
who dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Michelle: Fr. Zabelka, did you know that the 509th was
preparing to drop an atomic bomb?
Peter: No. We knew that they were preparing to drop a
bomb substantially different from and more powerful
than even the "blockbusters" used over Europe, but we
never called it an atomic bomb and never really knew
what it was before August 6, 1945.
Michele: So since you did not know that an atomic bomb
was going to be dropped you had no reason to counsel
the men in private or preach in public about the
morality of such a thing?
Peter: Well, that is true enough. And I guess I will
go to my God with that as my defense. But on Judgment
Day I think I am going to need to seek more justice
than mercy in this matter.
Michele: Why?
Peter: As a Catholic priest my task was to keep my
people close to the heart and in mind of Christ. When
I look back I am not sure I did this very well. As a
chaplain I often had to enter the world of the boys
who were losing their minds because of something they
did in war. I knew civilians were being destroyed, yet
I never preached a single sermon against killing
civilians to men who were doing it.

I was brainwashed. The whole structure of the secular,
religious and military society told me clearly that it
was all right to "let the Japs have it." God was on
the side of my country. I was certain that this mass
destruction was right. I was brainwashed not by force
or torture but by my Church's silence and wholehearted
cooperation with the country's war machine.
Michele: So you feel that because you did not protest
the morality of the bombing other cities with their
civilian populations, that somehow you are morally
responsible for the dropping of the atomic bomb?
Peter: To fail to speak to the utter moral corruption
of the mass destruction of civilians was to fail as a
Christian and a priest as I see it. Hiroshima and
Nagasaki happened in and to a world and a Christian
church that had asked for it - that had prepared the
moral consciousness of humanity to do and to justify
the unthinkable. I say all this not to pass judgment
on others, for I do not know their souls then or now.
I say all this as one who was part of the so-called
Christian leadership of the time. Modern war and
oppression are carried out by a long string of
individuals, each doing his or her job meticulously
while simultaneously refusing to look at the end
results of his or her work. I was the last possible
official spokesman for the Church before the fire of
hell was let loose on Hiroshima on the Feast of the
Transfiguration 1945 - and I said nothing.
Michele: Fr. Zabelka, why after 39 years did you
decide to return to Japan?
Peter: I am old now. Soon I will go to meet my God.
When this invitation came, I felt that God had offered
me a "great grace." The invitation entered my soul as
a pilgrimage, a journey one undertakes to holy places
for holy reasons. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are
Calvaries.
Michele: But Calvary is where Christ suffered. He did
not suffer in Hiroshima or Nagasaki.
Peter: God, Christ lives in every human being. This is
part of what the Incarnation is all about. Christ
suffers and dies at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Therefore
to condone or support war is to condone or support the
call to "Crucify Him." I'm sorry I can say nothing
else - if Calvary is a holy place, Hiroshima and
Nagasaki are holy places.
Michele: You said that a pilgrimage must not only be
to a holy place but for holy reasons. What are your
reasons?
Peter: Peace! Peace is the fruit of communion with
God. Jesus tells us that the condition now for
reconciliation with God is reconciliation of human
beings. The Christian is explicitly called to be an
agent of reconciliation. The reason I am going to
Hiroshima and Nagasaki is to repent and to ask for
forgiveness of those living and dead whom I have
damaged by my failure to love as Christ loved.
Michele: Why are you asking for forgiveness?
Peter: If my priestly silence spoke for the Church in
1945 to the fellows on Tinian, perhaps my priestly
request for forgiveness can speak for the Church in
1984. You see, I want to expose the lie of killing as
a Christian social method, the lie of disposable
people, the lie of Christian liturgy in the service of
the homicidal gods of militarism and nationalism, the
lie of nuclear security. I want to expose it by
looking into the faces of the hibakusha - the
survivors - and saying, "Brother, forgive me for
bringing you death instead of the fullness of life.
Sister, pardon me for bringing you misery instead of
mercy. I and my Church have sinned against you and
God." It is our hope in the Power of that small moment
of truth, repentance and reconciliation that moves me
to pilgrimage East by the grace of God.
Michele: Fr. Zabelka, what steps do you think the
church should take in order to become the "divine
leaven in the human dough"?
Peter: It seems to me that Christians have been
slaughtering each other, as well as non-Christians,
for the past 1700 years, in large part because their
priests, pastors and bishops have simply not told them
that violence and homicide are incompatible with the
teachings of Jesus. Christians the world over should
be taught that Christ's teaching to love their enemies
is not optional. I offer you step two at the risk of
being considered hopelessly out of touch with reality.
I would like to suggest that there is an immediate
need to call an ecumenical council for the specific
purpose of clearly declaring that war is totally
incompatible with Jesus' teaching and that Christians
cannot and will not engage in or pay for it from this
point in history on. Jesus authorized none of his
followers to substitute violence for love: not me, not
you, not the president, not the pope. Christ's
teachings are teachings of nonviolent love and mercy.
Readers step back and prayer bowl sounds.
Michele: Mother Teresa was invited to address the
General Assembly of the United Nations on the
celebration of its fortieth anniversary. She said:
You and I must come forward and share the joy of
loving,
But we cannot give what we don't have.
That's why we need to pray.
And prayer will give us a clean heart,
And a clean heart can see God in each other.
And if we see God in each other
We will be able to live in peace.