zhouma@ wrote: Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 00:39:04 -0500 (EST)
Subject: "Canine Cuisine"
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Hi Kerri,

This is an old article I cam across in the Houston Press while searching
for something else. It is old, so I don't know if it should receive any
attention or what kind attention, but I thought you may be interested in
having this "article," if you don't already have it, maybe for some sort
of archive on the topic. I hope no one was inspired by this unfunny,
"provocative" piece.

Best,

Canine Cuisine
Pound-for-hound, some of the best doggone dishes around
By Robb Walsh
Published: February 3, 2005

Adventurous American eaters who scarf down durian, pig's intestines, and
stinky tofu may feel admirably multicultural. But what about dog? The
Korean dish poshingtan, which literally translated, means "body
preservation stew," is considered a health food in Seoul. Dog has been on
the menu in Korea for hundreds of years.

But in 2002, when international soccer teams visited Korea during the
World Cup competition, Korean poshingtan restaurants and dog meat salesmen
got a lot of heat from ill-mannered and culturally insensitive animal
rights activists.

Ahn Yong-keun, a South Korean food-science professor, responded to Western
critics. "I am sure that Westerners will like dog meat if they eat it," he
told reporters. "It is tasty and healthy." Ahn Yong-keun's defense of his
country's ancient canine cuisine failed to convert the foreign press who
dubbed him "Dr. Dogmeat."

Part of dog meat's PR problem may be rooted in the Korean cooking style.
Big hunks of bone with meat cooked in a soup have never appealed much to
Westerners, whether the meat in question is dog or chicken. So in the
interest of giving dog meat a fair shake, we have developed some recipes
for dog dishes we think the average Houstonian will be sure to love:

Chihuahua Chalupas

Low-fat Chihuahua meat combines beautifully with the sweetness of
caramelized onions on these crunchy canine chalupas!

1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 pound Chihuahua meat
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup refried beans
4 chalupa shells
1/3 cup salsa
4 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco
4 cilantro sprigs

Preheat the oven to 375. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium
size skillet over medium heat. Cook the onions for 12 to 15 minutes or
until they turn nicely brown. Cut the Chihuahua meat across the grain into
very thin slices. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium size skillet
over high heat. Add the meat and cook for 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
Remove the meat from the pan.

To assemble the chalupas, spread 1/4 of the beans onto each chalupa shell,
put 1/4 of the onion mixture on top of the beans, then add 1/4 of the
cooked Chihuahua. Spoon 1/4 of salsa over the meat and top with 1
tablespoon queso fresco. Place the chalupas in a warm oven until the
cheese melts, about 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with a
cilantro sprig and more sauce. Yields 4 chalupas.

Springer Spaniel Spring Rolls

Looking for a tasty alternative to greasy pork in your spring rolls? Try
ground springer spaniel. It's inexpensive, and nearly fat free!

1 pound ground springer spaniel
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup shredded carrots
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon chile sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
12 (7-inch square) spring roll wrappers

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Cook
the ground spaniel meat until evenly brown. In a medium bowl, mix together
spaniel meat, cabbage, carrots, green onions, cilantro, sesame oil, oyster
sauce, ginger, garlic and chile sauce.

Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl.

Place approximately 1 tablespoon of the spaniel mixture in the center of
each spring roll wrapper. Roll the wrappers around the mixture, folding
edges inward to close. Moisten fingers in the cornstarch and water
mixture, and brush wrapper seams to seal.

Arrange spring rolls in a single layer on a medium baking sheet. Brush
with vegetable oil. Bake in the preheated oven 20 minutes, until hot and
lightly browned.

German Shepherd Goulash

Hearty, flavorful, German Shepherd meat is just right for Hungarian
goulash. Be sure to use the best quality paprika for the richest flavor!

2 pounds German Shepherd, cut into one-inch chunks
1 teaspoon salt
2 onions
2 tablespoons lard or shortening
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
2 bay leaves
4 peeled and diced potatoes
1 teaspoon black pepper

Chop the onions and brown them in the shortening. Add the meat and
paprika. Let the Shepherd meat simmer in its own juices along with bay
leaves and paprika for one hour on low heat. Then add water, diced
potatoes and salt. Cover and simmer until potatoes are done and meat is
tender. Serves 4 to 6.

http://www.houstonpress.com/2005-02-03/news/canine-cuisine/full

http://www.chooseveg.com/meet-your-meat.asp
"There is no  religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like
about their  religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to
other animals as  well as humans, it is all a sham."  -- Anna Sewell