On 10/1/13 6:05 PM, Cory Johns wrote:
> Well, I think it's the natural place for this separation.  I think it will
> take a bit of work to remove the hard-coded assumptions that there is only
> one user neighborhood, and we'll need to figure out how to best represent
> users from different neighborhoods in the UI, but I definitely think it's
> doable.

Yep, I agree.  I think its worth exploring.  Even if it's some work, having
/u/johndoe and /asf/johndoe as separate accounts is probably worth it in the
long run to avoid username-munging.

> On the login side, I assume we'll have a separate LDAP login page, so the
> normal login page can continue to assume the existing Users neighborhood,
> while the new login page(s) can use the appropriate neighborhood, or
> provide a UI for the user to select, as appropriate.

Yes, that's my assumption also.  I think once we know how we'll set things up,
we can ask Infra to make a certain URL invoke LDAP authentication before the
request gets to Allura itself.

> As for indicating the neighborhood / source to the end user, I think /.'s
> somewhat recent addition of social login has a good solution: for users
> other than the normal Users neighborhood, we could have a small icon that
> we display next to the username to indicate where they're from, even if
> their username otherwise conflicts.

That should work fairly well for regular links and text.  The other place where
we use usernames is in drop-downs (e.g. ticket assignment).  That'll probably
take a bit more work there.