On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:10:23 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>>At Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:41:51 -0500,
>>Jonathan Kraut wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello again.  Further research:
>>>
>>> I tried an earlier version of jack (0.71.0) with alsa-driver-0.9.8, accessi
>>g hw:0,2 via my .asoundrc. I get the same result as before, but in addition t
>>is particular version of jackd tells me:

>>> Sorry. The PCM device "cmipci"doesn't support the same sample format for ca
>>ture and playback.We cannot use this PCM device.
>>>
>>> and jackd quits.
>>
>>this is likely because the newer version of cmipci driver supports
>>24bit SPDIF output, but no input yet...
>
>a reminder that for some time now, JACK supports the -P option which
>limits it to playback only. useful if that's all you want and/or all
>your hardware can do.
>
>--p

well, using jack-0.90.0/alsa-driver-0.9.8 now seems to work just fine again for full
duplex using jacks default (in other words i can capture off of spdif using hw:0,
which didn't work with jack-0.80). so great! (btw playback using hw:0,2 still throws
my system into the same weird state, but i can ignore that now). thanks for listening!
 i guess jack capturing off of hw:0 was a jack issue, and jack playing back to hw:0,2
is an alsa-issue? (but i don't know very much, so i could be very wrong).

btw sorry about the multiple posts before...got too cute with multiple email addresses.

thanks again.

-j

--------
Jonathan Kraut