The reason I ask for this is as follows: -
On my SB Live, using "default" outputs sound on all outputs. (Front and
rear).
I have an application (DVD player) which I want to output only on the front
speakers of every sound card, if the user only wants stereo.
I do not want output on front and rear if the user only wants stereo.
If they want 4 speaker output, they have to select surround40 mode.
For sound cards which have only one output jack, would it be easy to make
"default" do the same as "front" on those cards?

Cheers
James