I just tried to compile alsa-lib from CVS, and it gave me errors.  It
seems that atomic_read and friends are only available for kernel
processes, not for userland.  At least that's the way it is on PPC:

#ifdef __KERNEL__

#define ATOMIC_INIT(i)  { (i) }

#define atomic_read(v)          ((v)->counter)
#define atomic_set(v,i)         (((v)->counter) = (i))

etc.

Not using atomic reads where they are necessary would seem like a bad
idea.  Are the ones in pcm_meter (and maybe they are used elsewhere)
really necessary?  And if they are, shouldn't that code be kernel side?
Or is there a different way to do it in userland?

jack.