I noticed today while testing ogg123 that certain streams were failing
with this message:

ALSA snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size error: Invalid argument

I've tried every period size from 0 to 10240 basically, and none of
them are accepted.

For 44.1kHz audio, the default 4096, with 8 periods seems to work quite
well.  For 32kHz audio, nothing works at all apparently.  I have yet
to try other samplerates extensively.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

(I'm using the snd_card_pmac tumbler driver.)

Strangely, using oss emulation the same files and streams play fine.

Is there a certain set of options that's guarunteed or recommened?  Or
is it just trial and error to find out best compromise is for all
drivers?

jack.