Kai-

First, thanks for this discussion. Its great to have
the support of active developers in my little
experiments.

Second, I'm feeling blackbox audio YES-- but with a
decoupled user interface. Probably MIDI and keyboard,
with fullscreen display. Designed for live use. Boot
the machine up straight to the FX box. Later, boot to
development mode and muck around.

Jack feels like the best fit for my needs, but I'm
having periodic crashes. I'm enamoured by Paul's work,
so I think I'll join jack-devel and try to work with
him on this, rather than jumpship to vanilla ALSA.

thanks again,
yon