As a small extra, the emu10k1 kernel driver which support oss, has a few
bits of info which might be of help
>From the emu10k1 linux kernel developers: -
We allocate memory with pci_alloc_consistent() which according to
DMA-mapping.txt assures 32-bits PCI addresses. On top of that
we set a dma_mask (with pci_set_dma_mask) of 29 bits (512Mib).

Also: -
29 bit (512MiB), mostly speculation/trial-and-error though. See main.c and
the pci_set_dma_mask() calls.

Does this help alsa09 at all ?

Cheers
James