Can anyone give me a hand with the following problem?

I installed a new 2.4.18 kernel image today, upgrading from my 2.4.17
image. After I installed this, alsa broke, refusing to load at
boot-time, claiming that the alsa driver could not be found. This
required a full re-compile and install of alsa.

I have compiled and installed the alsa 0.9.0beta12 drivers, libraries
and utilities as instructed in the INSTALL files for each package
(including ./snddevices) but cannot get alsamixer to run. Whenever I
invoke it, I get the following error

#alsamixer: function_snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
        directory

amixer gives the following, slightly different message

#amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

This isn't a permissions problem, as the same happens when I am logged
in as root. The alsa drivers for my sound card (snd-card-es1968 -
Terratec SoundSystem DMX) are loaded on bootup, so they're not lost in
the mess. What the sam hell is going on?

Chris