hi paul!

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 22:47, Paul Davis wrote:
> sure, it does. but strace won't see, since it all happens *inside* the
> kernel's handling of sys_exit(). strace merely traces actual syscalls,
> not what happens inside the kernel. _exit will call sys_close for
> every file in the task's file table.
>
> >so what kind of bug is this? rtcw? alsa? kernel?
>
> you haven't really described the bug very much. something to do with
> processes left around, etc.
>
> does the program(s) in question use threads? if so, using _exit() will
> fail to terminate all threads in the process. this is a linux issue.
rtcw doesn`t use threads theres only one process during the execution of
rtcw and thats the process that hangs on exit. the process can be
terminatet with Ctrl-C.
Steven Walter reported that the problem also exists in the demo version
of the games which is aviable at various places. maybe you could debug
the problem?
http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/returnwolfenstein/wolfmpdemo-linux-1.1-mp.x86.run.html
its about 66MByets to download and i understand if you don`t have the
time to do it - but maybe you can give me some hints to debug the
problem.

michael.