After managing to get alsa 0.9beta 12 compiled and install on a fresh install
of mandrake 8.2,  loading worked fine.  running alsamixer in an xterm and
trying to unmute the channels,  alsamixer locked hard, couldn't move, couldn't
quit,  hard lock for that APP ONLY.  Tried loading gmix (it worked on 8.1 with
a 2.4.16-xfs kernel with no problems).  as soons as gmix loaded the system
locked solid, no mouse, nothing.  onlypower off would cure it..

upon power up part of the FS was hosed. (/etc/modules.conf was scrambled
leading to a whole host of issues.).  Not trusting the FS state, I reinstalled
again.   Tried OSS driver provided with the syetm (no compiling necessary).
Works great,  no lockups..

Are there issues with ALSA 0.9beta12 and the 2.4.18 kernel,  or more
specifically the Mandrake 8.2 2.4.18 kernel??

I'm currently stuck with OSS, but I want to be using ALSA..   Does anyone have
any suggestions?

HW info:
Tyan Tiger MP Dual processor athlon 1.2 Ghz  MP's
512MB DDR 266Mhz, PC2100 RAM
NVIDIA Geforce4 MX440 Video(with NVIDIA's 1.0-2808 driver)
Symbios 53c1010-33 Ultra 3 scsi controller
Sound Blaster Live Value.

System ran completely stable on Mandrake 8.1 wiht a custom built 2.4.16-xfs
kernel (clean 2.4.16 + xfs 1.02 patch) with ALSA 0.9beta 12

System locks up immediately on using ALSA's OSS emulation (gmix) mixer, and
causes alsamixer to freeze solid upon running with Mandrakes 8.2's kernel
(2.4.18 + whatever vendor applied patches)

No core dumps, only lockups.  :(

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk
Enterprise Resource Providers