Oh, and you know what, I was so concentrated in my hate for sysex ;) that i just
noticed that i forgot to write the most obvious point about why sysex is a no-go.

And this is basically, that what you propose would work like this:

sysex call to poll for bank description -> Midi Out
and later
Midi In <- patch listing

And this has a fatal flaw, which is basically, what i said in my first, mail... Midi
is a 1-way protocol. Thus considering this, remember that
not all deviecs have In/Out , in fact many of them are either midi IN only, and midi
OUT only. Think about the sblive/awe synth, alsa sequencer clients, etc, are MIDI OUT
ONLY, so it's not possible in any way to retrieve information from them via sysex.

regards

Juan Linietsky