On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Ken McMillan wrote:
> > Actually, I think I found the problem. I was using the maximum number
> > of playback and captures channels reported by the device. For
> > "plughw", this number is apparently 10000, rather than the actual
> > number the hardware supports! I guess what I have to do is open the
> > "hw" device first to get the actual number of channels, then open
> > "plughw" with that number of channels.
>
> That would work in the "default" alsa configuration. It does not work in
> the generic case as the hw and plughw default devices might be pointing to
> completely different hardware (for example "hw" might be pointing to the
> second card in a system, a 24 channel Hammerfall, and "plughw" might point
> to the first card, a stereo Ensoniq 64 :-)
>
> At this point there is no generic solution to finding out the underlying
> hardware capabilities of a plug pcm, to be able to autoconfigure software.
> As Paul suggests, search the archives for the long thread on this last
> fall...

Ah, well, I don't want to dive into the middle of a controversy here
:-).  I *do* need to know the physical number of channels, since I
have a little mutitrack recording app, and a GUI that lets the user
select a source channel for each track. It would be a bit silly to
have to ask the user how many channels there are before putting up the
GUI. Anyway, it sounds like I should just use the "hw" device and
forego the plugins. My impression was that by using the "plughw"
device, I could get automatic sample format conversion (as in the 0.5
API).  However, since this only saves perhaps a page of code, I should
probably just stop whining and write the code.

        Cheers...  Ken