Takashi Iwai wrote:

>Hi James,
>
>At Thu, 04 Apr 2002 21:55:50 +0100,
>James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>
>>I have just managed to get alsa09 sound to work on my portable after a
>>lot of difficulty with neither alsa or oss modules loading.
>>I would like to suggest that we start adding an alsa09 howto for
>>Portable PC users.
>>It would have: -
>>Name of PC,  sample modules.conf line to use.
>>
>>My old portable is a Toshiba Satellite 4010CDT which is NOT plug and
>>play sound.
>>

>could you try my (updated) alsaconf script for test?
>it's written for suse distribution, but should run on any system with
>pciutils and dialog.
>the file is found at
>       ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/tiwai/alsa9-packages/misc/alsaconf
>
>just run it as root, choose "probe legacy isa chips", then choose
>opl3sa2 from the list.
>

>ciao,
>
>Takashi

The sound card was a non-plug and play sound card, so I don't think any
current alsaconf file will help.

For example, the howto for my card would be: -
Go into the BIOS, get the IO and IRQ settings of the sound card.
Enter those IO and IRQ settings in the modules.conf alias file together
with -isapnp=no.
Then it will work.
I did not know before I started that if the alsa-driver modules are
compiled with isapnp switched on. You cannot use non-plug and play sound
cards, without specifically telling the modules.conf alias line that it
is a non-pnp device.

Cheers
James