On Tue, 7 May 2002, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > Card specific code may solve all that easily.
>
> that's true.
> but user may start alsamixer (or what else) and get huge amount of
> bars (i thought), which should be avoided.

We can avoid this in alsa-lib.

> > We need to separate in our minds the _basic_ hardware access and
> > layout/display consideration. Kernel is for the former, libraries and
> > applications for the latter.
>
> i reconsidered this issue yesterday.
> in this case, we need to take also the number of controls in the
> kernel space into accout.  if we have an instance for each of 1400+
> controls, there are really 1400+ mallocs, and we'll look for a control
> by a linear search from them.
> and most likely the hardware doesn't need them.
> it will be a big drawback.

If someone has hardware with 1400+ controls, than memory allocation issue
is out of question. I wrote that we can optimize current code - add some
hash tables for faster lookups for example.

> otoh, the indexed access as Paul's suggestion needs only one control.
> the drawback of this method is, as Jaroslav pointed, the lack of
> notification.  the notification can be done but we cannot know which
> element is affected.

I think that it's much bigger drawback than allocation of some more
kilobytes of memory.

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project  http://www.alsa-project.org
SuSE Linux    http://www.suse.com