From: Christoph Sassenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Question: Is anybody working on that ALC stuff?

Apparently not. However, according to the sources of the alsa-driver-0.5.11
thing from Realtek, it is kind of 'standard' as far as AC97 (or AC'97, I
don't know -- there seems to be a subtle difference) is concerned, from what
I can tell, so patching the current AC97 sources to get it to work shouldn't
be /too/ difficult. Provided that you know /what/ to patch exactly. Which I
don't, unfortunately (if one of the admirable gurus here were kind enough as
to point us developper wannabees to some crash course to chip sound
programming and ALSA 0.9, maybe... :)).

However, given VIA's recent messages to the list, I'd say I'm confident that
support for VIA's latest southbridges (VT8233A et al) and the underlying
chips shouldn't be too much of a long-term problem. Stay put, stay confident!
It's great to see companies open up to the open source development way of
thinking.

BTW, are you sure that your motherboard's southbridge is really a VT8233, and
not a VT8233A? I have a gut feeling (based on little to no factual evidence,
note) that our problems with recent VIA-based motherboards lie with the
southbridge (VT8233A) and not the underlying sound chip (ALC<whatever>). Just
an idea anyway.

-- S.