At Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:31:11 -0400,
Derek D. Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A couple of issues with the configure script and/or the install target
> of the makefile:
>
> a) the help for configure claims that the default location for the
> - --with-moddir parameter is /lib/modules/<KVER>/misc.  However, after
> make install, the modules are apparently actually installed in
> subtrees of /lib/modules/<KVER>/kernel/sound.

this depends on the kernel version.
the directory /lib/modules/xxx/misc is for 2.2 kernels, and
/lib/modules/xxx/kernel/sound is for 2.4 or later.
it's determined in configure script.  if the latter directory exists,
the files are installed there prior to the former location.

we should remove or correct the help description.

> b) When modules are installed in the above directories, modprobe can't
> find them.  Is this distribution specific?  Is there a way to
> configure this behavior?  I'm running RH 7.1 on a Toshiba Satellite.
> I'll also note that with a recent beta of the 0.9 code, modules were
> installed in the misc directory.

iirc rh7.1 has already 2.4 kernel system, so it must be ok.
most likely the configuration of alsa driver doesn't match with your
current kernel config.

please elaborate your prolbem.  what says modprobe?
what happens if you run "depmod -ae"?

ciao,