El Lun 08 Jul 2002 12:40, Takashi Iwai escribió:
> At Fri, 5 Jul 2002 19:30:42 +0200,
> Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> > with /dev/midi00 ouput goes to ens-1371, /dev/midi01 goes to the first
> > usb midi device, and /dev/midi02 goes to the second, but both usb devices
> > have 2 inputs ans 2 outputs. Can I get all my five midi ports work with
> > oss midi emulation?
>
> do you really need to use oss midi devices?
> as long as you only reading/writing midi byte streams (i.e. no
> ioctls), you can use simply alsa rawmidi devices, /dev/snd/midiCxDx,
> instead of /dev/midiXX.

No, I agree with you. In fact, I don't need the raw midi devices at all, as
the sequencer API can do all and more.

My question was if I made a mistake or I am forgiving something, or if it is a
limitation on ALSA OSS emulation. Only trying to deeply test the new
snd-usb-midi driver. And for the fun of doing the things in several different
ways.

As an example, and only for fun, this is a bash script for cron (hourly, of
course) that plays thru raw midi devices without any special program.

Best regards,
Pedro

#!/bin/bash
#
# London Tower Big Ben tune as a simple bash script
# Copyright (C) 2002  Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
#
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
#
tune="C 4, E 4, D 4, g 2, C 4, D 4, E 4, C 2, \
      E 4, C 4, D 4, g 2, g 4, D 4, E 4, C 2,"

mididev="/dev/midi03"
tempo=80                                # quarters per minute

function playnote() {
        let "ms = 240000 / ($2 * $tempo)"
        echo -ne '\x90' >&3
        echo -ne "$1\144" >&3
        sleep $ms'e-3s'
        echo -ne '\x80' >&3
        echo -ne "$1\000" >&3
}

function playtune() {
        echo $1 | tr "cdefgabCDEFGAB" "<>@ACEGHJLMOQS" | \
                while read -rd, note length; do
                        playnote $note $length
                done
}

function playhour() {
        h=`date +%l`
        while [ $h -gt 0 ]; do
            playnote $'\x37' 2
            let "h--"
        done
}

if [ -c $mididev -a -w $mididev ]; then
        exec 3>$mididev
        echo -ne '\xb0\x07\x7f' >&3     # volume = 127
        echo -ne '\xc0\x0e' >&3         # instrument = bells
        playtune "$tune"
        sleep 2
        playhour
        exec 3<&-
else
        echo "`basename $0` : invalid MIDI device ( $mididev )"
fi