> > OK, then I know how to solve my problem, but it would have been nice to
> > avoid copy and silence callbacks, and just get from the substream or
> > runtime structure the hw offset where the next period is expected to be
> > written to.
>
> sorry, i don't understand your question.
>
> regardless of the existence of copy callbacks, the hw_ptr is updated
> automatically.  it has nothing to do with the behavior of copy/silence.
>
> copy and silence callbacks are called to replace on behalf of
> copy_from/to_user().

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have seen the snd_pcm_lib_read_transfer(), but
rather than define my own capture copy function, I would have preferred to
write directly to the place in dma_area expected by the framework. In other
words, is the hw offset stored in any structure accessible from a substream?
The other option (that I am pursuing now) is to write a capture_copy() function
and manage my own hw offset in parallel.

Guilhem.