Hi Takashi, Massimo, anyone

Takashi, in response to this last e-mail I patially solved the problem. Just to be in
the safe side, I:
1. cleaned the rc2 installation.
3. did a “./cvscompile”
4. did a “make install”

It all went fine. I then proceeded to insert “snd_printk” statements in the code of
the drive to see what was happening. The process is slow and somewhat stressfull 8-[
(Cyrix 200+ with 64Mega). I would  like to know:
1. How may I compile/make and install just the modules that I am interested in
(--with-card ?)
2. Do  have to ./cvscompile all the time? I did try just using “make” after the 1st
config, but this did  not seem to work.
3. Do you have any pointers on debugging ALSA diver module? I am sorry but my
experioence in this platform is somewhat lacking (make. autoconfig, etc.).

Massimo,

I hope you are reading the list. I did as you indicated:
1. I compiled and installed the drivers, libs, tools and utils (from cvs)
2. I  did not create any /etc/isapnp.conf file, nor did I execute any “pnpdump” or
“isapnp” commands
3. I then used a working /etc/modules.conf that used the OSS driver (mad 16-pro)
4. Finaly I executed (repeatedly) a modprobe.

Small note: the O.S’s messages (kernel 2.4.8) indicate that the isa card was detected.

The error I get is always a “chip still busy”, which is written by the
snd_opti93x_busy_wait(..). With the aid of the “snd_printk” I see that all parameters
are passed correctly and that all the steps are executed until the call to
snd_opti93x_probe() in the snd_opti93x_create() routine.  On furher investigation I
found that snd_opti93x_busy_wait(..)'s “inb” call always seems to return 0xFF from the
(WssBase + 4) address. So the card is considered not initialized. Naturally the test
for “&& 0x80" always fails.

Ok, I have some questions you most probably can answer:

1. Because I am compiling via cvs, the isa-pnp is set to true, and because the
parameters are set and isa_pnp option is set to 1 by default, then no pnp scan is made
for available resources. Is this the way you set up and tested the cards? I would like
to replicate you test-bed.

2. Once probing has been sucessfully done, I take it that only then you configure the
card, or am I wrong? Do we need to configure the card so that it sucessfully
terminates initialization?

3. If I read correctly,  on dma channel is 16 and the other an 8 bit channel. In this
case, is dma1 the 8 bit channel and dma2 the 16 bit channel? I would like to set this
as per OSS.

4. On one of your answers to the list you stated that you had one card working and
another not. I would like to confirm that the card that is not working is the MED931
ver 2.0?

5. How should the /proc/isapnp show up? Does it only have to have the correct settings
after the driver is load?

6. When I used the OSS drivers, dma1=dma2=0. When I try this out with the driver, this
is not allowed. Furthermore, you do not allow dma2=2 or 3 also. Is this correct?

Ok, this is a long e-mail, but pleae bear with me. After a trying weekend, I finally
decided to look at the mad16.c source code. Low and behold, the detection code (which
is executed when probing the card), makes provision for:
1.  testing for the 0x80 status (as per alsa driver)
2.  if this is not sucessfull, tries a software reset. [line 238]
3. if this does not work, powers the card off and on again. [line 245]
4. finally, if nothing else works, the pnp mode is turned off. [line 257]. (Potential
PnP Bios problem is indicated in this case.)

Ok, it would be interresting to know what this driver actually does on my box. To be
honest, I don’t really want to check this because it would mean configuring the kernel
and activating the OSS drivers again. For anyone out there that thinks I am being
lazy... it takes nearly a day to compile and install a new kernel. 8-[

Massimo, what do you think of the above strategy? Worth a try?

To anyone/everyone else,

I would like to collect some statistics. I would like to know:
1. Who has a Opti based ISA card working with Alsa (MED 931 from ExpertColor)
2. I would like to know what chip is used (92c931)
3. I would like to know what revision  of the PCB/card is being used (ex. version 2.0)
4. I would like to know what set-up or configuration is being done (isapnptools or
Alsa’s ISA support)
5. What OS is being used (kernel version 2.4.x)
6. Is Pnp is is supported by BIOS
7. Is Pnp is supported by the OS

Hmm, I think this is it. If you have read until this point, thank you for attention. I
hope our efforts will solve this small dilemma  because I know I am not the only one.

Regards,.
Hugo Ferreira.