I beleive that many modern cards have multiple hardware channels (err not channels' that's like stereo... uhmm streams?) ?  I've been browsing through the documentation, examples, faq's etc, and have found no refernence to such things... So was wondering, does ALSA support multiple opens to get multiple hardware (...) to allow the hardware itself to mix?  Is this even a thing?  and if not - then what's it mean when a sound card has 256 channels?  (64 3D) ...

And if it IS supported - any chance that on the driver page a field could be added that's 'simultaneous opens?'

Jim

Maybe I'm asking something that's meaning something other than what I do mean :)