Hi! I wanted to ask, how about forcing
an absolute timestamp for _every_ midi event?
I think this would be great for softsynths,
so they dont need to work with root/schedfifo/lowlatency
to have a decent timing. Not allways you are willing
to process midi at the lowest latency possible.
I say because you dont really need all that if you
sequence in the computer and control softsynths and maybe
some external device.
This way, the softsynth gets the event with the timestamp,
gets the current time, substracts the audio delay (latency) to that
and just mixes internally in smaller blocks processing each
event in the right time.

Juan Linietsky