On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Guilhem Tardy wrote:

> > It's software only limit for read/write transfers. The direct transfers
> > (mmap) don't take care about this limit. The idea is to avoid using very
> > small transfer chunks which are inefficient. Application might change
> > this value from 1 (no control) to buffer_size (in samples), but values
> > bigger than period_size hasn't any sense anyway.
> >
> > The default value for xfer_align is period_size.
>
> Since 'xfer_align' must be equal or greater than 'min_align', how can we get
> this value through the library?

The physical size of xfer_align * frame_size_in_bits must be multiple by 8,
of course. Adding bit copying in the kernel or library will cause a lot of
overhead.

I've added this function to library:

snd_pcm_sframes_t snd_pcm_hw_params_get_min_align(const snd_pcm_hw_params_t *params)

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project  http://www.alsa-project.org
SuSE Linux    http://www.suse.com