On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:48:56 +0200,
> Anders Torger wrote:
> >
> (...snipped the analogy of pipes...)
> >
> > Well, I have the same opinion, I'd just like to give another example
> > (actually the same all over again, but I want to make it obvious). For
> > a socket or a pipe, if noone reads from the other end, it will block
> > forever. Thus, a buggy program will dead-lock. I think this example
> > fits logically the case of writing to the sound-card but no-one starts
> > it. It should then block forever.
>
> agreed, although the alsa is already apart from the standard device
> operations (unlike normal devices, alsa needs an explicit set-up
> before read/write).
>

> > The problem I have is that I do not see the use of generating a broken
> > pipe in this situation, the only scenario I can come up with is "oh, I
> > got a broken pipe, I must have forgotten to start the pcm, so I do it
> > and try writing again". But that scenario is highly unlikely to occur
> > in a program, and if it does, I would call it bad programming.
> >
> > For the blocking case, however, there is a use, that of having multiple
> > threads (or forked processes). In my case I have a input thread and and
> > output thread, and the sound-card is started from the input thread,
> > after the output buffer has been readily filled with data. Not that it
> > is hard to change my program to do like ALSA wants it, but I think the
> > behaviour is wrong, it is not what one would expect.
>
> we can see this problem from a different angle:  on the current
> scheme, you cannot block writing if the stream is not running.
> writing more in the prepare state will always return an error
> immediately.
>
> btw, the attached patch is a quick and untested hack to change the
> behavior as you wish :)
> please give a try.

I think that the current behaviour of write() is ok, the behaviour of
poll() might be "fixed". I see advantages for both. I would prefer to have
this configurable to satisfy multi-threaded applications. We can put a new
variable to sw_params.

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project  http://www.alsa-project.org
SuSE Linux    http://www.suse.com