Once upon a time, James wrote :

> I am currently helping to write a media application in linux that plays
> DVDs that have 5.1(e.g 6 channels) audio tracks.

Doesn't ogle already allow that?
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/

> It would be nice if my
> audio application did not have to care about what speakers the user has,
> and just output 6 channels every time and let alsa-lib adjust.

Indeed. I think you still have to indicate the number of speakers to use
with ogle, obviously.

>  Also, if
> I used another audio application that could play CD-Digital Audio,
> alsa-lib could automatically upmix it to 5.1 using dolby surround 2->4
> upmix, and alsa-lib could then fill in the center and lfe channels.

This means adding some Dolby(C)(R)(TM)(etc.) Surround code into alsa-lib,
is that really possible?

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla) running Linux kernel 2.4.18-10acpi
Load : 0.07 0.23 0.22