Robert Robinson wrote:

>Takashi,
>
>I had communication from Kysela Jaroslav indicating that the Audiophile 2496
>driver does support digital I/O.
>The problem may be that I have not been using an audio interface program
>that supports the digital option. This choice is never displayed as part of
>the I/O.
>Robbie

I own a SB Live card, and not an Audiophile 2496, but on the SB Live you
use alsamixer to select all the recording sources. Then you run arecord
and it records the sound from the multiple sources mixed together.

The problem with the SB Live is that recording from the SPDIF is always
interpolated to 48kHz, some interpolation happens between 48Khz input
and the 48Khz of the sound card. In reality the sound quality does not
change, but it does cause problems if you are trying to capture an AC3
or DTS signal, because the interpolation breaks it.

A good program to test recording in is arecord, which comes with alsa.

Cheers
James