I didn't get an answer in alsa-user. Thought I'd forward this to
alsa-devel.
--- Begin Message ---
[I'm sorry if you get this twice, I posted from the wrong account]

Greetings,

I've read a few postings on here about recording through the S/PDIF
input on CMI8738-based cards, but I haven't seen any solutions. I've
been able to get recording working with my Midiman card by modifying the
cmipci.c file to include the record enable mixer switch. The code to add
this switch is commented out with comments like /* these will be
controlled in pcm device */.

Is this PCM device functionality that has yet to be implemented? Or is
it already implemented and I'm going about this the hard way?

--
Neill Bell