During setup of the sound card, I adjust the HW params and then save them to the card during the open() stage.

Is there any alsa api call that can retrieve hw settings later. For example something like: -
snd_pcm_get_buffersize()
snd_pcm_get_periodsize()

Another problem is that snd_pcm_can_pause()/snd_pcm_can_resume() can only be enquired about at device opening time, while one has the hw_params that one used to configure the card. I would like to be able to enquire about snd_pcm_can_pause() at the moment the user presses pause in the GUI, but at the moment, I have to remember the setting at snd_pcm_open() and setup time.
It would make for a neater application if one could quiry the hw_params at any time after them being opened, thus saving the application from having to keep a duplicate of all the settings.

This can all be done perfectly easily with sw_params, just not hw_params.

Maybe I have just missed something, but I don't think I have.

Cheers
James