David Sankel wrote:
Have you used JACK?

AFAIK it definitely requires a pcm. You may have
used it on hardware that supports multiopen which would explain what you
have observed.

Yes, I have used jack.  I meant that it doesn't open
the sound device when it is not being used by a host application.

I'm pretty sure it does. In order to run it needs to claim a pcm device (or multiple devices as specified in an .asoundrc). I just tested that by starting jackd and then trying to start alsaplayer on the same device and jackd blocks alsaplayer until it is shutdown then alsaplayer will start.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're
kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol
and put_symbol I think we used to have..."
- Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem