Benny Sjostrand [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

> >Seems to work well.  The relevant mixer settings are PCM1 and Surround1
> >(both of which must be turned up and unmuted.  However it doesn't seem
> >to deal well with odd rates:
> >
> >(0)<mcelrath@draal:/home/mcelrath> aplay -Dhw:0,1
> >/usr/share/sounds/zipper.wav Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/zipper.wav' :
> >Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
> >aplay: pcm_write:968: write error: Input/output error
> >

> Hm.,, just weird, does it work OK with the fron channel (hw:0,0) ???

Exact same results for hw:0,0.  (i.e. it doesn't work)

> What do get on dmesg output ???

I still need to recompile with debug.  I will send debug messages later.

Benny Sjostrand [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

> >With a GTXP on an alpha. ;)
> >
> Cool! stupid question from me, which endianess does the Alpha
> architecture have ??
> well, I believe the cs46xx is never tested on Big-Endian architecture

Alpha is little endian.  (The processor itself can be either, but
linux/alpha uses little endian)

> >I managed to stall the codec by playing with the IEC958.  I turned the
> >IEC958 input all the way down, unmuted it, then unmuted the IEC958
> >output.  I was playing an mp3 at the time, and the mp3 stopped and the
> >codec just puts out a constant ~8khz tone.  This is repeatable.
> >
> A old bug that I supposed was fixed, but apparentily it's not, probably
> course
> I've never tested to play with SPDIF in and SPDIF out control at the same
> time. Hopefully I'll find a way to get around it ....
>
> Just to confirm; if you only play with SPDIF input mixer control, leaving
> the SPDIF output unmuted it dont happen right ?

Yes.

BTW I recommend renaming the IEC958 to "SPDIF" or "Digital In/Out" since
nobody knows what an IEC958 is...

> >Recording still seems to not work.  I still get about a 1Hz ticking in
> >the right channel when recording (no matter what the mixer settings).
> >
> Recording should work fine, did you have the DAC capture SPIDF input
> "on" ?? then
> it could be SPDIF input related ...

I cannot record anything at all, from any input (I haven't tried from
SPDIF -- I don't have a reliable SPDIF source anyway)  I get the 1Hz
ticking.

Cheers,
-- Bob

Bob McElrath ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics

    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
    esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
        -- Nietzsche