>Sorry, it's not as easy as you've described. It's not possible to invoke
>any user code from the kernel code directly. There is a scheduler which is
>informed that a task has been woken up. It depends on scheduler when the
>task is really invoked. It's quite same as for the r/w model where the
>application is notified over poll that something occured.

i think we can consider the behaviour of the kernel scheduler when it
schedules a SCHED_FIFO task after an audio interface interrupt has
woken it to be very, very close to the kind of callback system james
is describing. ditto for any kind of wakeup of a SCHED_FIFO task
(e.g. when its woken by a write to pipe, or a signal).

its not perfect, as i am very disappointed to discover, but its also
very close.

--p