>I started implementing a GUI for the HDSP matrix mixer using the fltk
>toolkit. I want to get as close as possible to the TotalMix RME
>application, thus I'm trying to implement hardware metering using the
>Peak and RMS HDSP registers. The peak value covers the whole int range,

actually, no. it covers the range from 2^8 .. (2^32)-1. you need to
first adjust the value to a true 24 bit value, or more conveniently, a
normalized 32 bit float. here is the code from JACK which does this
(it could be optimized, i would expect):

    #define SAMPLE_MAX_24BIT  8388607.0f

    floatval = (peakval >> 8) / SAMPLE_MAX_24BIT;

>and seems quite usable to me (though it would need some king of
>logarithmic scaling), but the rms value, despite being an integer64,
>only covers a very narrow range. What is the correct way to handle those
>values ?

i don't know enough about the rms values to comment on this. i would
imagine that the RMS values are in dB[something], and thus would span
a rather narrow numerical range, but actually represent a very large
range because of the logarithmic scaling. i can try to dig through the
emails i have where martin from rme described what the rms meters do.

--p