At 18 Dec 2002 05:11:36 -0800,
Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 03:17, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > agreed.  a scenario i can imagine now is that the script just takes a
> > > look at /proc/asound/cards and checks the numbers at the first column.
> > > this should correspond to the card indices which have been already
> > > loaded.  then the script will try to load the modules snd-card-X but
> > > skip the numbers listed in the above...
> > > i'll try to rewrite as this way.
> >
> > after reconsideration: it would be much simpler to create a new proc
> > file which shows the modules already loaded.
> >
> I was wondering what would happen in this process if someone had two r
> three identical USB devices, like the MidiMan 2X2? OR also two identical
> cards like the RME HDSP 9652?

when a module is loaded and two or more identical (or supported)
devices are connected, the module will initialize the all such devices
at once.

for multiple devices, you can specify the options separated by commas,

        options snd-hdsp index=1,2,3 id="hdsp1","hdsp2","hdsp3"

if there is no index option given for a device, as mentioned before,
an empty slot is probed from the index 0.  thus, if you don't set any
index options for all modules, that's fine, except for that the order
of devices is not guaranteed.  (cards_limit option must be enough
large, or you need to apply my patch.)
for keeping the order of devices, giving the index option for each
device would be better.

> It is important that the system recognize the same hardware as the same
> sound device every time the machine booted, and whether the machine is
> warm or cold booted.

in the case of usb, it's not 100% sure, because it's anyway
hotpluggable.  but usually the order of probing is identical, so it's
ok.