On Thursday January 30 2003 07:29 am, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I am asking this, as the ALSA OSS compat. seems to be getting depreaciated
> > (I dont blame it), and stuck on rc1.
>
> its not deprecated, though many of us would actively discourage anyone
> from writing new applications that use the OSS API. its very important
> for ALSA that it fully and properly supports the OSS API. if it did
> not, it would have been very hard to get linus to accept ALSA as the
> default/standard audio API in the 2.5/2.6 kernel series.
>
> --p
>
> ps. of course, some of us would discourage people from using ALSA
>     as the API too :)))

Well, the reason I asked, is that I am involved with porting Helix stuff to
arm linux. And someone pointed out yeasterday, that there was no OSS compat
for his soundcard. So, since I am waiting for stuff to get working again in
respect to gcc 2.95, I took it upon myself (thinking this was almost trival
to change a few fucntions from OSS to ALSA) to write some ALSA native device
functions to give users a choice. This is my first time really digging into
ALSA API, and I must say, I like what I see. :D

And instead of bothering people with silly questions, 'how do I perform x OSS
function", I went looking at the docs. The tutroials are very good, but don't
touch upon some of the more compilcated aspects. It seems maybe there is a
glossary or something needed for people more familiar with OSS terminology.

Such as, whats a poll ? The docs state, in a not very clear way, for example,
for snd_timer_poll_descriptors, 'gets poll descriptors'.. hmm, ok, whats a
poll descriptor? :D

Although I am thankful for the docs, I think it might be useful to have a one
page doc outlining the OSS calls..

thanks-
ljp

--
My cat's a debugger....

Potter, Lorn, "ljp"
core member / Web Administrator
Project OPIE- the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment
http://opie.handhelds.org
IRC: irc.freenode.net #opie #opie.de