At Mon, 03 Feb 2003 12:07:15 +0100,
David Björkevik wrote:

> Thank you for trying to help me fix this.
>
> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > This did not work for me. Using rc7 my DAC does not lock to a signal
> > > using any combination of spdif/default output or AC97-SPSA setting.
> > >
> > > When applying jgotts patch to rc6 I managed to get lock on some
> > > combinations, but the signal still seemed strange and my DAC did not
> > > produce any sound.
> >
> > hmm.
> >
> > the behavior of via82xx driver depends on the chip model.
> > hence, first, please check your chip model listed on
> > /proc/asound/cards.
>
> This gives me
>
> 0 [VIA            ]: VIA8233 - VIA 823x rev80
>                      VIA 823x rev80 at 0xd800, irq 22
>
> This would indicate a 8235-chip (according to the defines in
> via82xx.c)...

yep, there was a bug in the driver.  already fixed on cvs.
but it doesn't matter for the behavior of the driver.  the audio part
of 8235 is identical with 8233.

> > if you have another VIA823x, namely, 8233, 8233C and 8235 chips, you
> > must have valid DSX channels.
>
> I guess this will make me sound stupid, but I don't know what a DSX
> channel is or how to get valid ones =)

the 8233 (and 8235) chip has two different paths for playback.
one is called DSX (direct sound) and 8233 has 4 channels.  by using
these channels, you can do up to 4 playbacks simultaneously.
the spdif is output from the DSX3 channel usually with ac97 slot
10/11.

another is the "multi-channel" playback, which supports the 4 or 6
channels outputs.  this is supported on every 823x chip.

it seems these two outputs are exclusive.  if DSX is used,
multi-chanenl cannot be used, and vice versa.