On Tuesday 24 June 2003 01:14, Eliot Blennerhassett wrote:

> I have attached a patch against alsa-driver-0.9.4
> But I'm not sure if this is the desired form, or whether I have located the
> driver in the correct part of the tree.

I've tried building things with the patch, and have some questions:

1)  Your directions tell me to execute a './cvsconfigure' command (at the root
of the ALSA source tree).  There is no such command in the 0.9.4 tree (at
least in the tarball).  Does this patch require use of a checked-out CVS
tree?

2)  What is the name of the module that this should generate?  'snd-asihpi' is
coming up as not found.

3)  What is the exact relationship between the ALSA module and 'asihpi'?  Does
one need to be loaded for the other to work?  Exactly what is dependent upon
what?  An example 'modules.conf' setup would be very helpful here!

> This driver depends on a module external to ALSA (asihpi, (GPL), available
> from our website).  I couldn't figure out how to add a driver specific
> include path, so  I made a symbolic link across to the (only one) header
> file.

I'd like to propose that the "standard" location of the HPI header henceforth
be:

        /usr/include/hpi/hpi.h

Then, applications need only do:

#include <hpi/hpi.h>

for things to work.  I've been using this layout in my own apps for some time
now.  While we're at it, perhaps we could add an install rule for this into
the makefile for hpklinux (and one for libhpi.a >> /usr/lib as well).  This
would have the added benefit of getting strange symlinks out of the ALSA
source tree.  :)

Cheers!

|      Frederick F. Gleason, Jr.      |         Salem Radio Labs          |
|       Voice: 1-(540)-341-2880       |      87 Lee Highway, Suite 11     |
|        FAX: 1-(540)-341-7176        |        Warrenton, VA 20188        |
|   Some people call them "cars" or "trucks"; I call them "dimensional    |
|   transmogrifiers" because they change three-dimensional cats into      |
|   two-dimensional ones.                                                 |
|                                         -- F. Frederick Skitty          |