At 05 Jul 2003 22:09:12 +0200,
Eduard Hasenleithner wrote:

> So, alsaplayer still fails with set_periods to value 13 for a reason
> that I do not know, because I have forced alsaplayer to use the value 6.
> It appears that the "[" and "]" means that the borders are inclusive and
> that "(" and ")" means that the borders are exclusive. Although 13 and 7
> are exclusive alsaplayer tries to use these values. Maybe this is a bug
> in alsaplayer.

i guess yes.  as you pointed out, the max. periods are 6 in fact.

> 2. With the ice1712, 256k of buffer memory and assuming 44.1kSps only
> 0.13 seconds of playback can be stored in the driver buffer. I noticed a
> lot of xrun when doing background tasks while listening to music or when
> only watching a video. What can be done about this?
>       - Implement a pre-buffer in kernel with the source bitrate
>           and number of channels?

we unlikely do this.  basically such a buffer-handling shouldn't be
the job of kernel.

>         - increase the kernel buffer. But then only for one second
>           1.8M of kernel ram are needed!

256kB is the hardware limit.  so, it's also not possible.

unfortuantely, there is no concrete "good" solution for this problem.
an easy solution is to raise the scheduling priority of the
alsaplayer.  then no xrun shouldn't happen.

the real solution might be to increase the size of internal buffer in
alsaplayer like xmms has...