Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:28:08 +0200,
Giuliano Pochini wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:31:28 +0100
James Courtier-Dutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

When an application reads the "avail" or "delay" pcm values: -
1) how accurate are they?
2) does the accuracy depend on the sound card driver being used.

Worst case accuracy is about one period AFAIK. It depends on the sound chip because the low level driver reads the DMA pointer (or something) from some hardware register or it can know the DMA pointer when it receives an interrupt at the end of a period.

yes.  if the accuracy is in period size, at least it should work
somehow.  e.g. the time-slider of a player might not move so smooth
but it must not be critical.

Takashi

I would like some idea of how accurate the snd_pcm_delay() result is likely to be. If I am trying to syncronise video to audio, and I notice a difference between audio and video, I need to know how accurate I can make it.
If some cards only update "delay" once per period, but others update it all the time, I would like the application to know about it, so it can decide how accurately it can actually get audio and video in sync.
I.e. On some cards it would only correct for sync if it is off by 1 period or more, but with other audio cards it could be sample accurate.
I have a sb live audio card and it seems to update with sample accuracy.

Cheers
James

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email sponsored by: Parasoft Error proof Web apps, automate testing & more. Download & eval WebKing and get a free book. www.parasoft.com/bulletproofapps1 _______________________________________________ Alsa-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-devel