Hello,

Sorry I didn't follow-up on this sooner; I must have been
distrcted by some shiny object.  I haven't had any problems
with MIDI and Jack.  I've tested routing MIDI in the following
ways:
    HDSP port 0 loopback
    HDSP port 1 -> port 0
    HDSP port 0 -> aseqview -> HDSP port 0
    HDSP port 1 -> aseqview -> HDSP port 0
    All of the above plus playback on port 0 using pmidi
I don't have another card with MIDI I/O. I tried starting Jack
both before and after doing the MIDI routing (not for every
possible combination).  I ran Jack overnight with the
port 1 -> port 0 setup.  No problem.

I am running Jack 0.80.0, compiled locally, kernel 2.4.21,
unpatched, compiled locally, and ALSA as described below.  I
wonder if the problem you found has something to do with
low-latency or preemptibility patches.

--Rob