Steve,
   You're the first person I can remember to report something very similar
to what I'm dealing with every day. I get a huge loud cracking noise at the
start of any audio operation that is not vanilla Alsa - i.e. - anything
accessing OSS I think. In my case I think it's hardware based, but I'm not
sure. This happens only on my HDSP 9652 system. I have two other systems,
one using an onboard NForce audio device, and the other using an RME
Hammerfall Light, that act correctly.

   With the RME products we have the hdspconf application which shows the
sync frequency of the card. I normally run at 44.1K, but if I open hdspconf
and watch the card's frequency, it tells me that the card becomes unlocked
and changes sample rates when the noise happens. This happens when starting
any app that uses OSS (I think) like gxine, or xmms, or most games, or
browsing web pages. It does not happen when starting a native Alsa
application like alsaplayer.

   Does this sound at all like what you're experiencing?

- Mark