Hi,

This is quote from the OpenAL devel list:

---------------------------------------/quote start
All the fancy features that come along for the ride with DirectSound 3D
under Windows -- such as HRTF -- will be there when using the DS3D
backend for OpenAL under Windows.  If the implementation has to fall
back to DS or MMSYSTEM, a simpler software engine is run which provides
pretty much the same capabilities as the Linux and MacOS versions of
OpenAL.  So it's true that the audio will sound different depending on
whose card you have with which drivers.

The software renderers do simple stereo panning -- that's true.
Creative and NVIDIA would really like you to buy our hardware to do more
sophisticated rendering.  :-)

OpenAL is open source, so if someone wants to contribute more
sophisticated code to make the software path better, that's great.

As you can see, there nothing being supported on linux, except some
software stereo panning. Thats what i want to be changed, and why i'm
into designing a ALSA-OpenAL interface for 3D (and may be other advanced
features) support.

Best Regards