At Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:59:53 -0500,
Paul Davis wrote:

> >has anyone contact with yamaha, btw?
>
> i've spoken in person with guys inside the mLAN development group (at
> NAMM, last februrary), and they put me in touch with a professor in
> south africa who has been acting as a consultant for them on a number
> of aspects of mLAN. i talked with him a few times too, he's quite a
> fan of linux.

it's a good news, at least :)

> my understanding of the end result of this conversation was that:
>
>    * the core part of mLAN is already part of an IEEE standard

ok, that's what i understood, too.
as long as the m-audio device doesn't depend too much on the mlan
connection stuff below, we'll be able to use it in a certain level.
IIRC, linux ieee1394 stuff has already the audio iso transfer
support.  the question is how tightly they are bound.

m-audio people are so far very helpful for the development on linux,
and they want that their products are well supported, too.
maybe we can contact with them about the detailed technical info of
410.

>    * the part that Yamaha is retaining right now is the connection
>        management stuff. they are not unwilling to release this,
>        but they are also not particularly enthusiastic about it
>        and nobody knows who has authority to do so. they have
>        licensing schemes for this part, but eventually hope to
>        see it merged into either the existing IEEE standard
>        or a new one.

hmm, it sounds like they are in fact not refusing to get the mlan
spec open but even try to standarlize?

> note: without connection management, mLAN looks like the ALSA
> sequencer but without any way to know which ports exist. its not
> useless, but its very hard to use.

as always, another abstraction layer on that layer... :)

thanks for the info!